Thursday, February 14, 2008

What a Night!!

Happy Valentines Day first of all!
I don't know if any of you heard, but last night there was a HUGE storm in the valley. I got home around 3:30 and already I could not see a thing driving. I was praying Brad was already home because he has rear-wheel drive and slides all over the place. Anyway, we were both home...thank goodness and then the power went out about 4:30. Brad kept saying, "Don't worry it will come on again in ten minutes." Nope. 6:00 roles around and I realize I have no way of making dinner. We decided to order a pizza and said we would pick it up. Little did we know right when we hit Redwood Road we were at a standstill for about 45 minutes. Finally we reached a back road that we could take and we were plowing through about three foot high snow drifts and we couldn't see anything. We thought it was a wreck, but come to find out they closed the road to Eagle Mountain and no one could get home! They said there had been a huge car pileup because of the blowing snow. These cars were just stranded on the road. Come to find out this road and the road through Lehi was backed up FOREVER and it took people HOURS to get home. People were staying overnight in the Smith's here in Saratoga and also in the dentist office here. We heard on the radio there was even a lady having a baby in her car because they couldn't get anywhere. Well, Brad and I just hung out together huddled by our gas fireplace and listening to the radio. We finally went to bed around 11:00 and about 12:30 we realized the power had just come back on. Eight hours without power! That hasn't happened to me in a long time. It makes you realized how your whole life almost runs on electricity!

Cold and getting colder with not heat!



Thank heavens for tea lights.



Does anyone know how to get wax out of carpet?



Our house this morning




Our neighborhood this morning.




Where we huddled to stay warm...okay a bit dramatic :)



We survived! I hope everyone else made it home alright!

6 comments:

carlyl said...

Holy Cow, what a storm. I can't imagine being without electricity in the dead of winter. I am glad you guys made it okay and didn't freeze to death.

Emily said...

Sounds like a wild night! I have to admit that I am a little jealous though. We haven't had much snow this year and I want to get dumped on atleast once. The kids haven't even had a snow day this year. Good luck digging out and warming up!

Mick and Tiff said...

Those pictures are crazy! I'm glad that you got home safe except it would have been kind of fun if you were snowed in and had to stay at my house :) Last night was so fun! How was the movie? I came home to Addy puking all night long! Happy Valentines Day to me.

Calder Family said...

Yikes Ash! I'm glad you guys are all right! Quite the adventure! At least you had a romantic night by the fire! :)

Brandon and Lesli said...

Ash - thats so crazy! I heard about all those kids getting stuck in buses and stuff - i'm glad you made it home!

Mick and Tiff said...

I finally got caught up on BB last night and all I have to say is you have to watch it!! I think it is a pretty good one this year. We need to talk about it! ha ha!