Sunday, January 27, 2013

Thanksgiving


This Thanksgiving for our family was very bittersweet. It's always fun to get together with the family but this year we had received some very bad news two days before. My wonderful father-in-law had been diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer. It was such a blow to our family. Bill has always been such a go-getter and he was now confined to such a small area because of his oxygen machine. The change was pretty drastic for all of us that knew him. The week started out with hoping we could all go on a family trip together in January, to realizing he was really sick and that probably wasn't going to happen. Even with the circumstances he still came out with the family and visited. I'm sure he was exhausted with all the kids running around, but it was so great to have him with us. We were going to head up to the cabin but since he'd been diagnosed we decided to stay in Logan and it was a FULL house. All eight of the siblings were there with their families. Thank goodness Diane lives close enough that some people can stay there. We had a great Thanksgiving feast like usual. The Rich family sure knows how to cook! That night we had a little visit from the Grinch! He likes to visit the kids and try and convince them to be naughty. It's pretty funny. This year the Grinch looked a lot like my nephew Hayden. He decided to be naughty himself and scare the daylights out of my niece Avery and poor little Sawyer. He liked to go right up to the little kids and go AAAA and poor Sawyer just got the biggest eyes and screamed. I guess I shouldn't find it funny when my child is terrified, but it was pretty funny. He still got on his lap and enjoyed his toy. Ryker was so tired that he fell asleep right on the couch with all the noise. My kids never do that so we thought it was pretty cute! That night Julie, Greg, Amy and I went to Walmart for the "early" black friday sale. I can't believe they start so early now. I didn't get much, but once again, it was an experience. Afterwards, Mike, Emily, Brad and I went to Skyfall. It was pretty good but I kept almost falling asleep. That never used to happen to me but I guess because I'm thirty it's starting. :) I wasn't very smart to go to the movie because I got up at FIVE AM to go with my mom and sis. I decided I don't love getting up so early. Not worth it to me but the Kneaders French Toast we had later was DEFINITELY worth it. Saturday was the Aggie football game. The football games were great this year because they were never that cold. It didn't snow and this season they were awesome so it was so much fun to go watch them. We had such a wonderful weekend. The kids are in heaven when their cousins are around and we all love spending time with the Rich fam.
a

No comments: